Saturday, January 22, 2011

28:47

Today, I set a personal best. I ran a 5k in twenty-eight minutes and forty-seven seconds. Yay for me!!!

Running is so mental. From about four minutes into my run until I was finished, I wanted to stop. I took my friend's advice and continued to tell myself to keep going. Every time I would have the urge to jump on the side rails, I told myself, "NO". Haha.. I actually said it outloud a few times. Buttttt, hey it obviously worked.

On another note, yesterday, I went sledding. I wasn't at home and really didn't have the option of packing food. I didn't make the best food choices. I used 17 of my flex points. Embarrassing, but hey that's what they are there for. I will definitely not make a habit of going over that much. Today, I am having quite the opposite problem. It's 5pm and I have 14 points left. That's almost half of my day. It's not actually a problem. It's perfect! I am going to a friend's housewarming party tonight, sooooo it will be good to have a few points for snacks.

Speaking of the housewarming party. This is the first event that I will attend(since I have started WW), that will more than likely have unhealthy food. So, I have a plan. <<< Side note: I have to explain a little background info before I proceed. My mom is on a weightloss plan through the hospital. It's a very good weightloss plan but it's also very expensive. My mom lost 70-80ish pounds the last time she did the program. She did that in 2008. It is now 2011 and she has only gained back 15 pounds! WOW! SOunds pretty good to me. Anyway, she has decided she is ready to lose 40-50ish more, so she is back on the plan. Sooo, you may be asking why I am telling you this. Well, she shares info with me that she learns at her meetings. HMR teaches their people to frontload. Frontloading is when you stuff yourself with healthy food, like vegetables and fruit, before you attend an event where you may be tempted.>>> My plan is to frontload. So, I will be eating a good amount of vegetables and a little bit of fruit before I attend. This will prevent me from filling up on foods like spinach dip, crackers, cheese, etc.

Back to running for a few. Today while running, I was trying to keep my mind on things other than the fact that I had 27, 26, 25, and so on minutes left. So, I was thinking about how fast I could finish the 5k on February 26th. My friend Danielle is also running the 5k. She was talking about her goals to me the other day and it got me thinking. Last year, I ran it in 30 minutes. It was my second race I had ever ran in. It was kinda crazy. Really packed and really new. This year, I have more experience and I know what it will take mentally. SO, I want to set a goal. I want to be realistic though. I have exactly 1 month and 4 days. Also, I want to take into account that it is going to be freaking cold. It's harder to run when you feel like you have icicles in your throat. Therefore, I have not set the goal yet. I have to think about it. I want to see how hard I can push myself on the treadmill. Andddd, even though I don't want to, I'm going to have to start training outside on some days. It's just soooooo cold. But, I honestly think it will continue to be this cold for awhile. So, I just need to get over it and get my butt outside.

I think I mentioned in another post about setting goals each week. This week my goal was to burn 3,000 calories. I have already been thinking about next weeks goal and I am leaning towards a weight-lifting/abs goal. Jillian Michaels, the chick off of Biggest Loser, speaks a lot about the advantages of weight-lifting. She believes, and I guess has data to prove, that when you weight-lift you continue to burn calories for 24 hours but when you do cardio, you only continue to burn calories for 1 hour. That's a pretty big deal. In her book, Making the Cut, she says that the focus should be on weight-lifting rather than cardio. Which is completely opposite of what I have thought, basically my whole working out life. But, she does look amazing, and the people she trains on The Biggest Loser always lose a ton of weight, so I'll trust her.

I'm getting pretty excited for my FIRST weigh-in on Tuesday. I don't want to be too excited, because I don't want to set myself up for failure. But, I'm pretty excited :)! I don't want to have specific expectations this week; I just want to lose weight. Two days away until the big day! Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment